I made it out alive … and boy, do I have a finished project to share with you!
February 25, 2012 § Leave a comment
Well I made it through my first major project officially as a Project Manager … I have disappeared for quite a long time here on my blog, which I do regret, but I dove into this project completely and learned a lot in bringing to life a concept to a fully functional ecommerce website and for that, I am very proud of the work I have completed with my team.
I would like to share with you learning lessons as a Project Manager for the creation of of my newest project, but then also send to you an amazing site that came out of dedicated work with a passionate team of designers over the past six months. Some learning lessons apply to building a website, but most apply to all projects that involve intense coordination between multiple team players.
- Start with a site map (basically an outline of all the pages and where they fall)- it will make or break your project.
- Create an organizational structure when writing content and save in appropriate folders- same for the photos- this will keep all team members happy!
- Determine the scope of the project from the start and stick to it to be able to deliver the finished project ON time. You can always add on later. Stick to your sitemap as much as you can.
- Work with passionate people; it is the biggest difference in success or failure.
- Do your research and document well.
- Don’t forget to stop and sharpen your saw; this is something that I heard about in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. He makes the point that in order to complete the job, sometimes you need to stop and refocus (or get the tools you need to complete the job), then dive back in- sometimes we forget this, but this is by far, the biggest learning lesson for me.
Well that is it for now, but when you get a free moment, check out http://www.dansessentials.com/ . It is a very educational site on Nutrition, specific to Kids, Seniors, Pregnancy, Weight Loss, and so much more. In addition, the site sells some pretty fantastic whole food products and recipes for each! Love to hear what you think.